Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Phenomenology

The way I think of reading text on a page as different from reading text on a screen is this: One is more quantitative (real pages have numbers, and pages have bulk in your hands, and it really feels like I'm making progress when I'm reading them) and the other is more qualitative (on a screen, everything flows together in my head).

Phenomenology: the way in which one perceives and interprets events and one's relationship to them in contrast both to one's objective responses to stimuli and to any inferred unconscious motivation for one's behavior (Dictionary.com)

In other words, the way in which we experience experience. 



 Poetry, Aug., 1994, Vol.164, p.267 -267 [Peer Reviewed Journal]

1 comment:

  1. Good insight. I suppose for some things it may be better to consume in a way where the information will continually flow into your head. Seeing progress is nice though, as sometimes that provides the courage to continue.

    ReplyDelete